Monday, January 16, 2012

Torticollis




Mary Lou Corcoran Physical & Aquatic Therapy’s Pediatric Team evaluates the infant/child’s range of motion, muscle tone, posture, developmental milestone and neuromotor status to identify areas of concern. A treatment plan is developed in conjunction with family/caregiver education. Without treatment, Torticollis patients’ fail to develop essential range of motion and eye convergence effecting the visual field, neglect of one upper extremity, jaw malalignment, scoliosis, muscle imbalances, poor balance, misshapen heads and extreme muscle tightness.

Therapeutic interventions include hands on techniques such as manual therapy, neuromotor re-education and modalities. Combination stretches into multiple planes of motion target the sternocleidomstoid muscle in supine, prone, sitting and side lying positions. One on one techniques utilize bilateral upper extremity task completion including fine motor skills and scapular stabilization.

Education of the parent(s)/caregiver(s) is provided through the use of interactive demonstrations along with illustrative handouts teaching proper hand positions, stretching techniques and positioning while emphasizing “tummy time” when the infant is awake and active.

MLCPT’s exclusive Pediatric Program was developed by two of our physical therapists with over 30 combined years of hands on pediatric clinical experience. Throughout the child's care at MLCPT, the Physician, parent(s)/caregiver(s), and therapist work together to help the child develop their maximum functional independence.

1 comment:

  1. As a mother of an infant with torticollis, I was very concerned for my child. My daughter's pediatrician thought a "wait and see" approach was best. I started researching torticollis myself and learned that the affected muscles needed immediate and consistent stretching and training. I searched for a physical therapist with a peds specialty online and MLC popped up. I cannot begin to explain how grateful I am for the excellent care and unsurpassed expertise my daughter receives from "Miss Lynne," my daughter's therapist, at MLC. My daughter has improved tremendously in so many ways; her eating skills and her language development were delayed because of the tightness in her neck, mouth, tongue, and shoulders. After only a couple of sessions of PT, my daughter begin vocalizing. Over a matter of a couple of months, hearing her say "Mamamama," having her reach up for me to pick her up, and feeling her lay her head on my shoulder was incredible--and due to the quality care my daughter receives from MLC. From the front office staff to Brandon, Gerry, Mr. Drew (intern), and Miss Lynne (PT), we are received with smiles, compassion, and professionalism. Thank you for helping my children improve their motor skills and endurance. I cannot recommend MLC highly enough. The therapy my children are receiving has and is changing their lives for the better--which in turn, makes this Momma so grateful and happy.

    ReplyDelete